[INDOLOGY] The Buddha's body in a vat of oil

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Nov 20 17:39:26 UTC 2018

Dear Artur,
I assume you know Johannes Bronkhorst's article in AS/EA LXIII/I (2009), pp. 7-27, "Hendrik Kern and the body of the Buddha"
I think it is very unlikely that the Buddha's body, or that of any other king (Daśaratha in Rām 2.60.12-14, 2.70.4) was laid down in a tub filled with hot oil, frying him like french fries. We are dealing with a process of embalming.

Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag