[INDOLOGY] Language use at the site of the Statue of Unity

Preston, Charles prestcs at millsaps.edu
Fri Nov 2 19:51:00 UTC 2018

Meanwhile, Patel in an address to Congress on independent India: “Its leaders would neither use a foreign language nor rule from a remote place 7,000 feet above sea level.”

Also Patel at the beginning of a speech on unity:  “You want me to talk to you in English.  I shall obey your command; but take it from me that it will not be long before you yourselves will have to speak in our national language.  If you do not do that, you will drag the country backward.”

That speech goes on to condemn the RSS: https://penguin.co.in/thepenguindigest/selected-speeches-and-writings-of-vallabhbhai-patel-an-excerpt/.

Oh, the irony!

-Charles

Charles S. Preston