[INDOLOGY] Mahabharata story/episode index

adheesh sathaye adheesh1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:49:45 UTC 2018

Dear Adriano et al,

For upākhyānas and other secondary narratives embedded in the MBH, the best source I know is the doctoral dissertation of Barbara Gombach (Columbia, 2000) titled “Ancillary Stories in the Sanskrit Mahābhārata” and I see that it has been made available on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/AncillaryStoriesInTheSanskritMahabharataBarbaraGombach

For a cursory list of what he calls “subtales” in the two epics, see Alf Hiltebeitel’s “Not without Subtales: Telling Laws and Truths in the Sanskrit Epics,” JIPhil 33 (2005): 455-511, and available through springer here:
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10781-005-7050-9.pdf

With best wishes,
Adheesh

—
Dr. Adheesh Sathaye
Associate Professor of Sanskrit Literature and South Asian Folklore
Dept. of Asian Studies || University of British Columbia
408-1871 West Mall || Vancouver, BC CANADA V6T1Z2
adheesh at mail.ubc.ca || +1.604.822.5188

Lead Organizer, 17th World Sanskrit Conference, Vancouver, Canada, July 9-13, 2018
http://wsc.ubcsanskrit.ca || wsc2018 at ubcsanskrit.ca