Re: [INDOLOGY] The compound word bhūgola

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:01:49 UTC 2018

In modern Marathi, the word "bhūgola" is used in further extended meaning
of "geography," and the Marathi books on geography routinely use this
word.  However, the word "bhūmaṇḍal̥a" is used in the work of Rāmadāsa in
the 17th century: "समर्थाचिया सेवका वक्र पाहे असा सर्व भूमंडळी कोण आहे."
"Maṇḍaḷa" and "Gola" are also used in Marathi in conjunction with Sūrya.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan