[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit grammatical terms

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:08:58 UTC 2018

There are real vaiyākaraṇas on the list, but for what it is worth,
"thematic" and "athematic" in the usage of most European grammars simply
mean "ending in -a" and "not ending in -a," which is captured in
traditional Sanskrit grammar by "at" (see 7.2.80 and 81), or "adanta-" if
you like to be more explicit, and "present stem" is a slightly more narrow
version of the verbal stem to which sārvadhātuka affixes are added (more
narrow because there are sārvadhātuka suffixes that wouldn't be considered
part of the present system, like khaś). I have to say, though, that I would
also appreciate some information about whether this identification holds.
Max Müller translated ārdhadhātuka and sārvadhātuka as "general or
unmodified" tenses and "special or modified" tenses respectively.