[INDOLOGY] Epigraphy and Indology

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 02:03:56 UTC 2018

Dear Tiru Palaniappan avarghal,

I think the situation you mention is just the opposite of reality. Most of
the modern , particularly Indological understanding of literary texts has
been well informed by history which is mostly based on epigraphy. In fact,
we have to identify epigraphists who have been Indologists who used
literary texts to inform and correct epigraphic data since their number is
not big.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:34 AM, Olivelle, J P via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Much of Gregory Schopen’s work on early Buddhism is exemplary in this
> regard.
>

> > On Jun 18, 2018, at 2:14 PM, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Scholars,
> >
> > While many epigraphists have been Indologists who used literary texts to
> inform and correct epigraphic data, I would appreciate references to
> scholarly works in the other direction, i.e., the use of epigraphical data
> to inform and correct interpretations of literary texts.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Regards,
> > Palaniappan

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )