[INDOLOGY] Accuracy in translations

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 21:34:05 UTC 2018

Dear Camillo,

I think you have provided the only possible answer in our time: for a
unified and unifying terminology use the Sanskrit terminology. It was long
ago possible to have standardized translation terminology adopted in
Tibetan by royal decree; this is not possible today in our highly
individualistic age. Today we may use Sanskrit terms directly, as you
suggest, or we may place them in parentheses after the translation term of
our choice. It is even possible to put them in comprehensive glossaries.
One way or the other, the Sanskrit terms themselves provide the only
realistic option for a unifying terminology.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.