[INDOLOGY] Brackets in modern sanskrit translations

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 11:38:48 UTC 2018

Andrew Ollett wrote:

> By the way, Indologists are not the only people on earth to appreciate
> that texts are difficult, subtle, allusive, that they have multiple
> interpretations, etc. But we do seem to be the only people who
> communicate our knowledge and appreciation of these facts by this
> particular typographic tick.

I'm not sure if the last word is a typo for 'tic' or 'trick'. Either
way, the practice is not confined to Indologists: in my particular area
of specialization -- the history of astrology -- the use of (mostly
square or pointed, but sometimes round) brackets to mark insertions is
pretty much standard practice in translations from several languages
(and, I would say, mostly for very good reasons, which is not to say
that I haven't seen them misused). Just pulling a few volumes off my
shelf/from my hard drive, I see that Burnett and al-Hamdi, Dykes,
Pingree and Yano all use brackets in their translations from Arabic;
Denningmann, Frommhold, Gramaglia, Heilen, Holden, Hübner, Knobloch and
Schönberger, Lopilato, Riley and Schmidt, in translations from Greek;
Dykes and Holden, in translations from Latin; etc. I'm sure there are
many more examples.

The few translations of astrological texts that I have seen which
consistently avoid using brackets -- such as Robbins's now somewhat
dated translation (1940) of the Tetrabiblos -- are, largely for that
reason, rather unreliable and must be treated with caution by anyone
wishing to disentangle the actual content of the original from the
(sometimes necessary) interpretations/interpolations of the translator.

Martin Gansten