[INDOLOGY] Brackets in modern sanskrit translations

victor davella vbd203 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 21:50:09 UTC 2018

On a related note, it might be worth looking at Eva Wilden's introduction
to her new edition and translation of the Akanāṉūṟu, where the style of
translation is specifically addressed and defended. I'm afraid I don't have
the volumes at hand  and so cannot give an exact page reference, but they
will soon be freely available online.  In any case, the style and purpose
of a translation are certainly contingent on many factors.

I'm also not entirely sure about the label "Germanism" and the sweeping
statements about Germans. I've read this passage to several Germans
including my students, who regularly translate Sanskrit into German. The
remarks don't seem to hold much water (any more ?). Furthermore, one may
have a look at the translation of the Durghaṭavṛtti by Louis Renou (a
Frenchman), in which quite a bit of text is placed between (). On the flip
side, Geldner's translation of the Ṛgveda is rather light on the ()'s.

As for Kielhorn's translation of the Paribhāṣenduśekhara, I'm not sure the
()'s are all that much of a hindrance and certainly very helpful at times,
but should they still be seen as a fault:

eko hi doṣo guṇasaṃnipāte nimajjatīndoḥ kiraṇeṣv ivāṅkaḥ //

All the Best,
Victor