[INDOLOGY] Details about author and work

Donald R Davis drdj at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 17 15:16:07 UTC 2018

Dear Krishna Prasad,

When I read your message, I immediately thought Apa must mean Aparārka, aka Aparāditya, a later commentator on the Yājñavalkyasmṛti. But something doesn’t seem right.  Aparāditya’s commentary was edited and published in the Ānandāśrama series.  To my knowledge, Ganapati Sastri edited the Yājñavalkyasmṛti with the commentary of Viśvarūpa through the Gov’t Press in Trivandrum in 1921.  The Nirnaya Sagar edition by Narayana Ram Acharya contains the commentary of Vijñāneśvara.

Not sure this helps, but I’d be curious to learn of an edition by Ganapati Sastri in Nirnaya Sagar.

Best, Don

Don Davis
Dept of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin