[INDOLOGY] The Demise of Prof. Dr. Hana Preinhalterova!

Dr. Debabrata Chakrabarti dchakra at hotmail.de
Mon Jul 9 05:47:33 UTC 2018

Dear Learned Scholars,

I am sorry to announce that Professor Dr. Hana Preinhaelterova, formerly Professor of Indology (Bengali) at the Charles University, Prague has passed away on 24 June 2018. She was cremated on 30 June 2018.

Born in 1938 Prof. Preinhaelterova was a student of Dr. Dusan Zbavitel (recipient of Rabindra Puraskar and later Padmashree from India), and she taught Bengali. She started learning Bengali primarily in Prague's Charles University, completed post-graduation and then came to Santiniketan for further studies in the sixties of the last century. Her long-drawn-out hard work for preparing a book in several volumes for Bengali Learners in the Czech language was a herculean task. Her research on Ashapurna Devi, her several translations from Bengali into Czech and a few other books of her own should be considered a real treasure for our Bengali literature.

I came in personal contact with her when I went to Prague (six times) to deliver lectures on several subjects of literature and taught in the department of Indology. She spoke Bengali fluently, was always animated with thoughts, had a nice sense of humour and an endless passion for learning.

Her death is an irreparable loss to the mankind.

May she attain Sadgati - Sadgatipraptirastu!

I am attaching here her photograph taken by me in 2009. It would be quite good, if anybody could send her bibliography to this forum. This would facilitate proper evaluation.

Regards

Debabrata Chakrabarti

[cid:339a6712-3120-49e4-801c-2e7991ecf79b]

This body is like a musical instrument; what you hear depends upon how you play it. Anandamayi Ma

Inside every human being there exists a special heaven, whole and unbroken. - Paracelsus