[INDOLOGY] Critical editions of the Sanskrit epics

Joydeep jbagchee at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 17:31:01 UTC 2018

Dear friends,

Let me share this work you: Vishwa Adluri and Joydeep Bagchee, Philology
and Criticism: A Guide to Mahābhārata Textual Criticism.

https://www.academia.edu/36999444/Philology_and_Criticism_Open_Access

There are a lot of nineteenth-century and erroneous views floating around
in Indology and epic studies such as Sukthankar’s edition reconstructs a
“normative redaction,” Sukthankar classified the mss. by script
(Schriftartprämisse), Sukthankar did not create a stemma but a “pedigree of
versions,” the “Venn diagram” is an improvement on the stemma, an earlier
oral epic was “redacted” by Brahmans, bhakti is a later “interpolation,”
the Mahābhārata is a “sectarian” text following the logic of “inclusivism,”
we can identify “Kṣatriya” passages based on style, we can apply “layers
analysis” (Schichtanalyse), we can still recover an earlier oral epic or a
heroic epic by applying “higher criticism,” etc.

These views are NOT defensible either through manuscript evidence or
through logic. In our previous book, The Nay Science, we had demonstrated
how these views arose from the German Indologists’ racial and nationalist
prejudices and the problems with their so-called higher criticism. This new
book provides support from lower criticism for that and shows that no
Indologist has made a meaningful contribution to Mahābhārata criticism
after Sukthankar and his team.

It also addresses the view that a critical edition does not require a
stemma or a rigorous procedure for sifting variants and establishes some
criteria for any future critical editions of Sanskrit texts.

Vishwa and I look forward to new ways of reading texts meaningfully!

Joydeep Bagchee

Dr. Joydeep Bagchee
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Academia.edu Homepage <https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/JoydeepBagchee>

The Nay Science
<http://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-nay-science-9780199931361;jsessionid=94DFF6B197750DBE7C7E64A4FB8B28D2?cc=de&lang=en&>
Argument and Design
<http://www.brill.com/products/book/argument-and-design-unity-mahabharata>
Reading the Fifth Veda <http://www.brill.com/reading-fifth-veda>
When the Goddess Was a Woman <http://www.brill.com/when-goddess-was-woman>
Transcultural Encounters between Germany and India
<http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415844697/>
German Indology on OBO Hinduism
<http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195399318/obo-9780195399318-0147.xml>
What, then, is Philosophy?