[INDOLOGY] Mathitaartha

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 19:22:48 UTC 2018

I thought I might have asked the following question once before on this
list, but can't find it in the archives, so perhaps I only intended to
but never did:

In a couple of texts now, I have come across the expression
/mathitārtha/, literally 'churned meaning', in phrases such as /iti
mathitārthaḥ/ or /mathitārtho gurusampradāyāj jñeyaḥ/. I suppose it
means something along the lines of innermost or final meaning, but I
wonder if there is a more exact definition or explanation somewhere.
Tubb and Boose's /Scholastic Sanskrit/ doesn't seem to have it. Any
hints appreciated!

Martin Gansten