[INDOLOGY] Suggestions for improving services of Asiatic Society, Kolkata

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 00:36:25 UTC 2018

Dear Deepro,

I did not know about the AS's "30%" rule.  Administrative slowness is one
thing, but the 30% rule is simply unacceptable.  No professional library
outside India has such a policy, as far as I know.  And it is clearly an
attack on academic freedom.  The 30% rule prevents the true growth of
knowledge, which has always been the main mission of the Asiatic Society.

The managers of the AS need to understand that their manuscripts only have
value when a scholar studies them.  If they lie unread on the shelf, they
are dead.  The super-human efforts made by the great pandits and manuscript
scribes of the past to pass their wisdom to us today is being blocked by
this unacceptable limitation.

Best,
Dominik

​
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
​,​

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
​,​

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
​,​
University of Alberta, Canada