[INDOLOGY] Gaṅgāṣṭottaraśatanāmāvali

Sven Sellmer sellmers at gmx.de
Fri Feb 16 12:01:02 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues!

I am trying to trace the source of the following 108 names of Gaṅgā:

http://stotrasamhita.net/wiki/Ganga_Ashtottara_Shatanamavali

According to this text, it should be the Bhāgavata-Purāṇa, but I am unable to find it in the editions I have access to:

|| iti śrī mahābhāgavatē mahāpurāṇē śrī gaṅgāṣṭōttaraśatanāmāvaliḥ sampūrṇā ||

Basically I am interested in name no. 89: śiva-vallabhā.

Any help in locating the source of the 108 names or pointers to other places where the Gaṅgā is characterised as Śiva's beloved (or similar) would be greatly appreciated (a GRETIL search seems to yield no results)!

Best wishes,
Sven

Dr. habil. Sven Sellmer
Adam Mickiewicz University