[INDOLOGY] Correction and updates of Nirnay Sagar Fonts

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Dec 23 18:24:09 UTC 2018

Dear Krishnaprasad Ji,

     Your fonts are looking more and more beautiful.  You have to make
choices as you go along.  Consistency should be one principle.  The
traditional writing is with a pen-tip with a 45 degree angle.  That angle
needs to show up in all characters.  So the end of द showing up a rounded
end does not fit within this consistency.  With a 45 degree angle of the
tip, one cannot draw a rounded end.  The same thing with signs like े ै ो ौ
where the 45 degree angle should show up, and not rounded tops.  I am
giving these suggestions following some of the principles I followed in
designing my own Madhushree font.  Since my font is not unicode compliant,
I no longer use it.  I can no longer type using that font either.  For some
reason, my Mac does not allow it.  Here is a sample from my
Saṃskr̥tasubodhinī:

[image: image.png]

I also prefer the top line without gaps.  With best wishes for your project.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan