[INDOLOGY] RV tr. by J&B: reviews? scans of earlier translations?

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 16:28:02 UTC 2018

I make no claim to know the slightest thing about the RV, but dare to add
only a reference to a review:

 David Shulman, Indo-Iranian Journal, Volume 60, Issue 4 (2017), pages 419
– 426

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 5:40 PM, Jan E.M. Houben via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Long awaited, but finally frequently and in several respects
> disappointing:
> the RV translation by Stephanie Jamison & Joel Brereton (2014).
> Are any further major reviews known apart from Pinault 2015, Zimmer 2015
> and Thomson 2016 (see below)?
> Are scans available of earlier translations such as the one by Grassmann,
> or of the one by Ludwig?
>
> Background to my request:
> Since its publication in 1951, K.F. Geldner's translation into German  --
> prepared before WWII -- has for several decades remained, also in RV
> studies written in English, the only complete scholarly translation worth
> quoting and worth critical discussion, next to the almost complete
> translation into French by Louis Renou. (Another complete translation is
> the one into Russian by Tj. Elizarenkova.)
>
> The J&B 2014 translation of the RV has therefore been an important
> contribution to the field, but cannot replace the annotated translation by
> Geldner, even if we do not take into account the limits the authors
> themselves imposed on their new translation, who decided to refer only
> sparingly to secondary literature on each of the Ṛgvedic hymns. More
> problematic is that the translation uncritically continues habitual
> mistakes such as the translation of -dh'ātamam in RV 1.1.1 as if it would
> have been -d'ātamam (Geldner, not in his translation but in his note ad
> loc., pointed the way to a better interpretation); it sows confusion
> through hasty and totally wrong claims such as that the first hymn of the
> Ṛgveda would contain the word agní in the “accusative, nominative,
> instrumental, dative, and again nominative”: the dative agnáye, in fact,
> occurs nowhere in the hymn (neither did T. Elizarenkova, in her Language
> and Style of the Vedic Ṛṣis (1995), to whom J&B refer at this place, ever
> say erroneously that the first hymn of the Ṛgveda would contain the dative
> agnáye; nor did Ferdinand de Saussure to whom Elizarenkova, in turn,
> referred); verses and verbs are forcefully interpreted in the light of
> post-rgvedic language and culture, for instance the verb "ribh" (neglecting
> inter alia Renou EVP III p. 52 and Gonda Vision 1963 p. 49, 79; Rix et al.
> 2001 wisely stick to the meaning "singen" and add "Vgl.* aber* Jamison
> ... 2000" without even mentioning the alternative meaning proposed there:
> "squawk"); the brief introduction to RV 10.90 consists mainly of clichés
> and interprets the reference to the four "estates" (neither = varṇa nor =
> caste) Brāhmaṇa, Rājanya, Vaiśya, Śūdra, as hierarchical, although it is in
> the context of the hymn evidently heterarchical; by rigidly interpreting
> yajñá as "sacrifice" throughout the RV (PW, Grassmann's WB and MW justly
> distinguish earlier and later usage of yaj and yajñá -- as I discussed
> further elsewhere) this concept, and hence almost the entire RV, is drained
> of all personal engagement of the inspired poets and priests: this prepares
> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk