[INDOLOGY] on Indology and the WSC

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 16:45:14 UTC 2018

I appreciate your post, Arlo, and agree with most of it.  But in your last
paragraph you make a couple of statements that I'd like to respond to.

First, the WSC received no money at all from the Indian Government.  The
conference was paid for by the attendees' fees and local charitable
donations.

Second, you take a pot-shot at WSC reviewers, "
As long as organizers of the WSC feel unable to impose serious peer review
for all papers proposed,..."   I was a reviewer myself, and I took the job
rather seriously.  And I know anecdotally that other reviewers did too.  I
read every abstract that was submitted to the Scientific Literature section
of the conference, both in English and in Sanskrit.  I thought hard about
them, and discussed them individually with my co-convener and in some cases
also with Adheesh.  A large proportion of submissions were rejected.  Those
that were accepted were of uneven quality, but were all papers that offered
some originality or interesting data.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada