[INDOLOGY] Atharvaveda edition/translation

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 25 08:34:09 UTC 2018

Sorry for responding late. (And thanks to Herman Tieken for his nudge.) I had wanted to advise that on such questions, it is always useful to consult the relevant volume of the History of Indian Literature:

Gonda, Jan. 1975. Vedic Literature: Saṃhitās and Brāhmaṇas. A History of Indian Literature, Volume I: Veda and Upanishads, Fasc. 1. Wiesbaden: O. Harrassowitz.

Among translations that have not yet been mentioned, I recommend the following volume, not a complete translation but a very good selection of hymns translated from the Śaunakasaṁhitā of the Atharvaveda:

Bloomfield, Maurice. 1897. Hymns of the Atharva-Veda: Together with Extracts from the Ritual Books and the Commentaries. Sacred Books of the East 42. Oxford: Clarendon Press.

Best wishes,

Arlo Griffiths