[INDOLOGY] IASS Policy on Discrimination and Harassment

soni at staff.uni-marburg.de soni at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat Aug 18 15:33:46 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,
In the past several days under the subject heading “A regressive face
of Indology at the World Sanskrit Conference”,  a discussion has been
been going on in this INDOLOGY discussion list. The discussion refers
to the Public Forum: “The Story of Our Sanskrit. Gender & Caste  in
Sanskrit Studies” featuring Kaushal Panwar (Motilal Nehru College, DU)
& Ananya Vajpeyi (CSDS, Delhi) in conversation with Mandakranta Bose
(UBC), on 10 July 2018 from 8–10 pm in the Barnett Recital Hall on the
UBC campus at the 17th World Sanskrit Conference in Vancouver which
took place from 9-13 July 2018 (see p. 19 of the Conference Programme).

Both in this Public Forum and at some academic panels at this recent
WSC in Vancouver, a number of disrespectful and inappropriate
exchanges and statements were made. Invited guests and presenters were
interrupted, shouted at, demeaned, and intimidated. In response, the
IASS and the organizers of the WSC hereby issue this public apology to
participants directly attacked and others in attendance who witnessed
these events. Our goal is always to provide a civil forum for the
exchange and debate of academic ideas and arguments related to
Sanskrit. In these cases, we failed to do so. We rely on the goodwill
of the membership and participants to maintain decorum appropriate to
an academic conference and association. We condemn all threats,
harassment, intimidation, discrimination, or intimations thereof. At
future conferences, we will provide specific guidance about
appropriate conference etiquette and institute a policy for the
removal of disruptive individuals from IASS/WSC events.

Posts on the Indology list have also called for the stance of the IASS
to be clarified. The IASS would like to (re-) affirm its commitment to
treating all scholars equally with respect, regardless of gender,
ethnicity, colour, caste or any other factor. The IASS Board is
confident that the decisions it takes are fully in keeping with the
spirit of the guidelines laid down by its esteemed founding members
such as “its purpose to promote, diversify, intensify and coordinate
Sanskrit Studies” and “to promote scholarly publication of
Sanskrit-based studies” (point 4 of our Statutes, made public in full
online: http://www.sanskritassociation.org/about-us.php).

On behalf of  the IASS
J. Soni
Secretary General