[INDOLOGY] A regressive face of Indology at the World Sanskrit Conference

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Aug 16 07:24:42 UTC 2018

Jürgen Hanneder asked me to forward his message to the list.

Best wishes,
Roland Steiner

* * *

Dear Colleagues,

in connection with recent discussions about the WSC it might be
interesting to know that the
Deutsche Morgenländische Gesellschaft (DMG) has recently withdrawn its
institutional membership in
the IASS in protest. This followed amongst other things pronouncements
by the president of the IASS
about a Svadeshi Indology. When the Indological section of DMG decided
to ask for clarification
about this point and was not satisfied with the answer by the IASS we
decided to withdraw.

The report from the WSC and the discussion on this list seem to
indicate that it has become more
difficult to pursue purely academic studies in this heated
environment, a fact that for newcomers
to the field and students can be a bit shocking. But we should not
forget that there are also
academic institutions older than the IASS, not connected or answering
to political institutions,
with international conferences that have so far remained without such
disturbances.

With best wishes,
Jürgen Hanneder