[INDOLOGY] Sandhi of word final n

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 00:15:09 UTC 2018

Hi Madhav,

I think I'm still a little unclear.

I follow this for  devān+tatra,

>      In a sandhi sequence like devān+tatra, according to P 8.3.7
> (naśchavyapraśān), the word final n changes into ru,

which changes into visarga and ultimately into s.

I.e. if n is before  ch, ṭh, th, c, ṭ, or t   then n -> ru
devān+tatra ->  devāru+tatra ->   devāḥ+tatra  -> devās+tatra

The vowel before the n becomes optionally nasalized by P 8.3.2
> (atrānunāsikaḥ pūrvasya tu vā), and in the alternative that it does not
> become nasalized, it is followed by an anusvāra by P.8.3.4 (anunāsikāt paro
> 'nusvāraḥ).

I.e.  devās+tatra ->   devāṁs+tatra, or devās+tatra  with nasalized vowel

The rule P 8.3.36 (vā śari)  says that a word-final visarga optionally
> remains a visarga before ś, ṣ, and s, while the Vārttika (kharpare śari vā
> lopo vaktavyaḥ) stipulates that if the following ś, ṣ and s are followed by
> a khaR sound (i.e. kh, ph, ch, ṭh, th, c, ṭ, t, k, p, ś, ṣ, or s, then the
> visarga is optionally deleted.

I.e.  devāṁs+tatra ->  devāṁs+tatra or devāṁ+tatra

You wrote:

> Your example अमुष्मिं स्तवे, and the observations of Whitney, MacDonell
> and Coulson seem to relate to the variation noted by these rules of Pāṇini
> and the Vārttika.  There are quite a few options involved, and they reflect
> the variation in the usage.

I see how this applies to   devān+tatra but I'm unclear how we get from
amuṣmin+ stave to amuṣmiṁ+stave since in this case the n is followed by s
and I don't see how rule 8.3.7 applies.

Thanks,
Harry Spier