[INDOLOGY] A regressive face of Indology at the World Sanskrit Conference

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Aug 14 15:44:03 UTC 2018

When traveling by train I dip into Multatuli's seven-volume Ideas (Multatuli is the pseudonym of Eduard Douwes Dekker, 1820-1887). Somewhere (at this moment I am unable to locate the passage) he quotes a French contemporary author who would have said that one should not argue with believers, as this only leads to frustration. I think Professor Vajpeyi's article is a good example of such an experience.
If you google "arguing with believers" you will find many references to the Bible and biblical studies There are many more academic fields where arguments don't hold (from my own experience, Old Tamil studies). I agree with Professor Truschke, however, that we should not give up. But what would be the best approach?
Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag