[INDOLOGY] Resources for commentarial interpretations of particles

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at oeaw.ac.at
Mon Aug 13 18:33:47 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering whether any of you know of resources to recommend
especially to students on commentarial interpretations of particles,
especially api, ca, tu, eva, which function as connectives and logical
operators. I am particularly interested in presentations of the range of
options that are available from vyākaraṇa analysis, and discussions of
the metalanguage used (e.g. avadhāraṇa, samuccaya, sambhāvanā, atiśaya
...).

There is much material tucked away in footnotes to various publications,
of course, there are helpful classics like Speijer's Sanskrit Syntax,
there are some remarks in introductory textbooks and grammar works, and
some efforts were made towards compiling patterns of commentarial
language inTubb & Bose's "Scholastic Sanskrit" and in Angot's recent
"Sanskrit commentarial", and there are articles dealing with specific
particles and their logical implications (esp. eva), but I have not come
across attempts to offer more comprehensive inventories of the terms
śāstric commentators use in interpreting particles.

Pointers would be much appreciated; I'll collect responses and post a
list later.

With best regards,

Birgit kellner

--