[INDOLOGY] Chandela of Bundelkhand (bibliographical request)

Paolo Eugenio Rosati paoloe.rosati at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:31:33 UTC 2018

Dear dr Das,

thanks for your remarks. But let me just point out that the Pala of
Kamarupa were not the Pala of Bengal. They ruled in Kamarupa (Assam, Koch
Bihar, part of Arunachal Pradesh, part of Nagaland, and probably part of
Bhutan) since ca. 990 CE until the XII (or the XIII) century. From the
epigraphic records it emerged that they were Hindu-Tantric rulers and not
Buddhist (as the Pala of Bengal). Most of the epigraphicrecords relate
their origin with Narakasura, a extremely controversial mytho-historical
king (son of Prithvi and Varaha) -- related to both the purity of divine
and to the impurity of menstrual blood -- who defeated the Kirata tribes
and founded the Kamarupa kingdom.

Best wishes,
Paolo

paoloe.rosati at uniroma1.it