Re: [INDOLOGY] 'as' ātmanepada?

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Thu Aug 9 05:51:42 UTC 2018

Unaware at his time of the *Bhaṭṭikāvya *evidence, Whitney says that
"Middle forms from *as* are also given by the grammarians as allowed with
certain prepositions (*vi *+* ati*), but they are not quotable" (§ 636 b,
p. 240). In contrast, Kielhorn (§ 269, p. 86 f [German version]) and Bühler
(p. 102) in their respective grammars / textbooks quote full paradigms of
*as* in their active and middle voices, e.g. *asmi *: *he*, *asti *: *ste*,
etc., with Kielhorn adding the remarkable remark that "als Hilfsverb auch
Ā[tmanepada] im Ind. Praes." (occurs as an auxiliary also in the present
indicative in the middle voice).

Best, WS