[INDOLOGY] Postdoctoral Position at History and Classics at University of Alberta

Dagmar Wujastyk d.wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:06:05 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that my project AyurYog is hiring! Please see the
details below. I have also attached them. Please feel free to disseminate
widely.

Dagmar

History of South Asian Alchemy Post-doctoral Position at the Department of
History and Classics

We are currently seeking a post-doctoral researcher to join the AyurYog
project (www.ayuryog.org) at the department for History and Classics
<https://www.ualberta.ca/history-classics> at the University of Alberta, in
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The AyurYog project examines the connected
histories of yoga, ayurveda and rasaśāstra (Indian alchemy and
iatrochemistry) from the tenth century to the present. The successful
applicant will be expected to

   - conduct original research on the connected histories of alchemy, yoga
   and medicine in South Asia,
   - contribute at least three articles towards the project's planned
   source book of Indian alchemy, involving a comprehensive introduction and
   translation of primary Sanskrit alchemical sources,
   - aid in organizing a workshop, and
   - take part in the project's outreach activities.

The fellowship is for 18 months. The post is available immediately, but the
successful applicant will be expected to take up the post-doctoral
appointment no later than 30 October 2018. The annual stipend is C$52,000.
In addition to the stipend, the award includes supplemental health
benefits. An additional C$5,000 is available for research-related expenses
and travel.

Eligibility criteria include:

   - PhD degree (completed within the last 5 years) in South Asian
   Studies/Indology or comparable
   - Proficiency in Sanskrit
   - Fluency in English and strong writing skills
   - Experience in translating Sanskrit alchemical, medical, yoga or
   tantric works an asset

*To Apply:*
Forward your covering letter, CV and contact information for three
references to:

Dagmar Wujastyk, PhD (Principal Investigator, AyurYog)

dagmar.wujastyk at ualberta.ca

*Closing date:*

30.08.2018

*We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those
individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.*

*The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and
inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We
encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit; members of visible
minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual
orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may
contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to
apply.*