[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit and the beginning of existence

Johannes Bronkhorst johannes.bronkhorst at unil.ch
Sat Aug 4 16:21:12 UTC 2018

Bhartṛhari’s Vākyapadīya 1.124 makes that claim:

śabdasya pariṇāmo ‘yam ity āmnāyavido viduḥ/ chandobhya eva prathamam etad viśvam pravartate//

Johannes Bronkhorst

On 4 Aug 2018, at 17:57, Antonia Ruppel via INDOLOGY <INDOLOGY at list.indology.info<mailto:INDOLOGY at list.indology.info>> wrote:

Dear list,

I am currently writing a piece discussing the question of 'How old is Sanskrit?' for a general audience.

To shed some light on the origins of the popular claim that Sanskrit is the 'oldest language', I am trying to find the exact passage(s) in which it is mentioned that the universe was sung into existence through Sanskrit. Could anyone help me with specific textual references?

Many thanks,
    Antonia

--
Dr Antonia Ruppel