[INDOLOGY] Rigveda annotation

hellwig7 at gmx.de hellwig7 at gmx.de
Sun Apr 29 18:40:45 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I would like to announce the release of a full annotation of the Rigveda
with morphological, lexical and verb-argument information.

Data are stored in a publicly accessible repository at
https://git.adwmainz.net/open/rigveda

Details of the annotation process are described in the LREC paper, which is
stored at the upper level of the repository.

Quality requirements are traditionally high in Vedic studies. So be warned:
The morpho-lexical annotations **DO** contain errors.
The Rigveda was the first Vedic text I processed with my tagger, which may
not have been the wisest idea, given its complexity.
It was analyzed book-wise in the following order:
10, 1, 2-7, 9, 8

Hopefully, error level becomes lower in the same order as well. In addition,
I am constantly revising the text hymn by hymn, and future releases of the
data will become better.

Moreover, I did not follow Grassmann's (or PW's) analysis of the text.
Therefore, lemmata such as tuvijAta, which are typically entered as one
lexeme in these dictionaries, are split into tuvi+jAta (<- PPP of jan-) in
my analysis, when I had the impression that they have a purely compositional
reading.

Nevertheless, I hope the resource can be useful for corpus-based research on
this text, where large numbers may smooth away some details.

Best, Oliver

---
Oliver Hellwig, IVS Zurich/SFB 991, Düsseldorf