[INDOLOGY] Question on Sarasvati as a masculine title

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Apr 29 18:23:43 UTC 2018

Dear Colleagues,

     This morning I came across this book, where the author's name is given
as प्रबोधानन्दसरस्वतिपाद, where the word "sarasvati" occurs with a short
"i".  This "sarasvatī", as well as "Bhāratī" is added in the title of many
Sannyasins.  Sometimes I see the titles with a long "ī", and here is an
instance of a short "i".  I am wondering as to what is the common practice
and the grammar of that practice, especially since normally feminine
expressions are being used in male titles.  Any suggestions?

Madhav Deshpande
Campbell, California