[INDOLOGY] BhG quote

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 03:37:03 UTC 2018

Thank you, David, for taking the time to respond. I have followed an
interesting trail to get to the "source" of this quote. By that, I mean the
website from which the person who wrote the article I found it in used as a
source.
So far, neither of these authors has responded, so I put this quote into
google and it is used in a surprising number of instances.
One comment on Reddit
<https://www.reddit.com/r/yoga/comments/25k94t/comp_my_favorite_quote_from_the_bhagavad_gita/>
suggests that it might come from 6.5
<https://auromere.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/gita-chapter-6-verse-5-uplift-the-self-by-the-self/>
It is interesting that I am not the first person
<http://bindiyoga.ca/the-bhagavad-gita-quote/> to wonder where, exactly,
this quote is found in the BhG, or possibly more correctly, which verse
inspires this loose translation, if we can even call it that. Perhaps,
paraphrasing is more accurate? I personally find the ways knowledge from
texts is reconstituted and retransmitted around yogaland to be fascinating.

All the best,

パトリック マッカートニー
Patrick McCartney, PhD
JSPS Fellow - Graduate School of Global Environmental Studies, Kyoto
University, Japan
Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
Japan
Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
National University

Skype - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp:  +81-80-9811-3235
Twitter - @psdmccartney