Re: [INDOLOGY] Cart-shaped, śakaṭākāra

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen toke.knudsen at hum.ku.dk
Thu Apr 5 11:52:29 UTC 2018

Dear Matthew,

Thanks. It’s certainly possible that the author of my source misunderstood the opinion he paraphrases and took “cart-shaped” to refer to the entire earth, whereas only a portion of the earth was intended.

In Hindu cosmography, Jambudvīpa refers to a circular continent surrounded by annular oceans and continents. Since the author rejects that the earth is cart-shaped, it’s possibly a refutation of a Buddhist idea.

The triangular or trapezoidal shape in the Buddhist sources you refer to agrees with the drawing in the Śilpa-prakāśa manuscript. I’m not sure where Bose got “quadrangular, with a long triangular projection on one side” from.

This begs the question, of course, of whether carts in ancient India were generally trapezoidal-shaped?

Best wishes,
Toke