[INDOLOGY] dhanvantari

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 04:31:14 UTC 2017

Dear Patrick-ji,

I could not get back to you earlier than this as I had to go for my
teaching work.

 'within the multi-trillion dollar wellness industry', what is the ratio of
the 'the global consumption of yoga-inflected lifestyles' ?

Is your current research project focused, among other things, on the 'socio,
political, economic aspirations of the Indian state through AYUSH and MEA'
?  Why are you interested in those aspirations? What is so intriguing about
a state having such aspirations?

Do you think 'Vedic Thai Yoga Massage' that claims to be 5000 years old,
and which also claims this date for the Bhāgavatam, and which explicitly
states that Dhanvantari is a Vedic god' is part of 'the construction of
narratives to also suit socio, political, economic aspirations of the
Indian state through AYUSH and MEA' ?

Are you feeling bad that ' there are many people within yogaland who do not
have any appreciation for historicity, and would prefer for a sense of
magic and wonder to reenchant their lives.'? In a recent mail, you said, " ,
my remit is to suspend judgement and disbelief, and *try* to privilege the
emic perspective." I said, "Do you think Indology centred around /rooted in
historical critical method and privileging emic perspectives that are
neither historical nor critical can go hand in hand? " Here is a sample of
that mismatch.

Who are the target market of this Vedic Thai Yoga massage ? Why or how do
they have a respect or attraction for the label 'Vedic' ? Indians,
particularly Hindus, more particularly traditionally oriented educated
Hindus may have a pull for the 'Vedic' label. Why at all does that label
matter for any customers other than of that category? Why does that label
create magic and wonder?