[INDOLOGY] BM ink

Witzel, Michael witzel at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 17 22:33:30 UTC 2017

NB: if the ink was made of burnt almond nuts mixed with cow urine, as it was done some centuries before Bühler’s visit (1875), it could be C14-tested like other organic materials. This kind of ink does not dissolve in water (the same is seen  in older Nepalese palm mss.)

One note of caution : Pandits in 1875 no longer knew how to prepare the ink, and we have the testimony of Jonarāja (c. 1420-1450 CE) about a forgery in a document (see W.Slaje*), where the forged document was put in water and the older text re-appeared.

Does this mean that already by c. 1450 the old style ink was no longer used or wasn’t it just in this particular case of clumsy forgery?

Probably the latter as we have birch bark mss. written with this ink from as late as 1675 CE. (The Kashmirian Atharvaveda (at Tübingen was inserted in water before preparing the color facsimile.**)

My 2 cents…
Michael
*)  Slaje, W. Medieval Kashmir and the Science of History. South Asia Institute. University of Texas at Austin 2004

**) Bloomfield, Maurice and Richard Garbe (eds.).

The Kashmirian Atharva-Veda (School of the Paippalādas).

Reproduced by Chromatography from the Manuscript in the University Library Tübingen 3 parts. Baltimore 1901.