[INDOLOGY] Lucid dreaming in Sanskrit?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 09:16:05 UTC 2017

Many thanks to all who replied to this query. So far there seems to be
precious little material on lucid dreaming in Sanskrit, particularly in
non-Buddhist sources. The reference to Patañjali is presumably to YS (or
PYŚ, if one prefers) 1.38, but the connection looks slim to nonexistent
to me; the same is true of Haṭha(yoga)pradīpikā 4.49, though I haven't
explored any commentarial literature on that passage. The
Hanneder/Mokṣopāya reference sounds more promising, and I'll try to
follow it up. Eli Franco mentioned the term svapnāntika-jñāna, but not
where it is found; I see that Monier-Williams (following Böhtlingk/Roth)
gives the Vaiśeṣikasūtra as a source for svapnāntika -- an unlikely
place for a discussion of lucid dreaming, I'd have thought, but worth
looking up.

Thanks again,
Martin G.