[INDOLOGY] Northern and southern Devanagari

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 15:50:26 UTC 2017

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for sharing this-- I imagine that there must be more instances of
this in the region that the chart is from. Will keep an eye out for such in
the future.

I also suspect that, in the case of manuscripts from the 'Hindi heartland',
Kaithi characters appear in Devanagari manuscripts more often than one
might assume. I've seen isolated Kaithi characters appear in Devanagari
manuscripts in such a way that I hardly noticed them at first. Some of the
graphemes of 'mercantile' scripts are so close to their Devanagari
counterparts that the distinction is hardly noticeable.

Best,
Tyler