[INDOLOGY] Researchgate under attack

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 15:44:24 UTC 2017

A cartel of publishers, amongst whom I am very sorry to see Brill, has come
together to shut down Researchgate.  The cartel consists of ACS
Publications, Brill, Elsevier, Wiley and Wolters Kluwer.  These are
companies that control quite a section of indological publishing.

Springer is not part of the cartel, and is holding separate talks with
Researchgate.  There is hope that they may come to some agreement.

I am not surprised to see the industry moving against open research in this
way.  The free circulation of the creative work of academics is obviously a
direct threat to their revenues.  They depend entirely upon us to create
research output, and then give them all our rights so they can profit from
from our work.  I know there are other points of view on this issue, but I
have thought about this as much as many people, and I take the position I
take.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk