[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Sanskrit-speaking village article

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Oct 1 13:58:41 UTC 2017

Dear Nagarajji,

Your comments are absolutely on the dot.  The propogated home Sanskrit is a
wonderful experiment in detecting the interaction between the actual
mother-tongue like Hindi or Kannada, and the acquired second language like
Sanskrit.  A Marathi friend of mine who tries to speak Sanskrit once said:
"स: परस्परं गत:" with the intended meaning "He went directly [without
stopping here]."  This usage became possible because the word परस्पर in
Marathi has that meaning, though Sanskrit does not classically have this
meaning for this expression.

Madhav Deshpande
Campbell, California, USA