[INDOLOGY] Reason in Jainism

Karl-Stephan Bouthillette karl-stephan.bouthillette.1 at ulaval.ca
Wed Nov 8 18:29:19 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

As I am preparing a thesis chapter on Jaina Doxography, I am seeking the most up to date and relevant publications (articles and books) on the historical developments of rationality and epistemology in Jainism.

I am particularly seeking information about:

1. the role and function of dialectic in Jaina soteriology

2. the historical context which led Jainas to involve themselves in debates and controversies with their opponents (particularly in the centuries before and during Haribhadra's time)

I find it particularly difficult to avail myself of data on the second point.

Any suggestions on any of these two point would be greatly appreciated.

Most kindly,

Karl-Stephan Bouthillette

Doctoral Fellow
Institute for Indology and Tibetology