[INDOLOGY] Sources on Relationship btw Oral/Literary Traditions

Herman Tull hermantull at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 19:49:14 UTC 2017

I've been following this discussion with great interest, not the least
because I am just now writing a short piece on the effect of the Bible on
literacy in India. Of course, the introduction of the printing press into
India (to ensure distribution of Indian language bibles) is one obvious
route into this. But, are there specific discussions of how the
protestant-educated Hindus may have seen the missionary emphasis on
literary culture (meaning the Bible) as leading to a "new" valuation of the
Indian "textual" tradition (by this I refer to both oral and written text),
favoring the literary (in the sense of a "written" text)? I have collected
some bits and pieces about this (especially Blackburn's work and Oddie's),
but if there are specific studies available, I would appreciate hearing
about them.

Herman Tull
Lafayette College