[INDOLOGY] Sources on Relationship btw Oral/Literary Traditions

Elisa Freschi elisa.freschi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:16:20 UTC 2017

One might check also the work of Dr. Bruno Lo Turco, who researches on the
topic of orality and aurality in premodern India, see, for instance:

Propagation of written culture in Brahmanical India
<https://sapienza.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/propagation-of-written-culture-in-brahmanical-india-2>LO
TURCO, B. <https://sapienza.pure.elsevier.com/en/persons/bruno-lo-turco>
2013 In : SCRIPTA.
<https://sapienza.pure.elsevier.com/en/persons/bruno-lo-turco/publications/#>
6, p. 85-93 9 p.

Best wishes to Emma,

ef

On 6 November 2017 at 08:45, Christophe Vielle via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> The periodical "Oral Tradition" might have relevant papers:
> http://journal.oraltradition.org/issues/
> See Issues
>
>    -  29/2 <http://journal.oraltradition.org/issues/list?id=61#61>
>    - October 2015
>

>    - Transmissions and Transitions in Indian Oral Traditions
>
> List of several articles by searching s.v. "India"
> Best wishes,
> Christophe Vielle
>
> Le 5 nov. 2017 à 20:18, Nagaraj Paturi via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :
>
> It is Lauri Honko, the Finnish Folklorist who uses the word
> "textualization" in the sense of bringing an oral text into a written form:
>
> https://books.google.co.in/books/about/Textualization_of_
> Oral_Epics.html?id=vyfOPBtlz54C
>

> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Tyler Williams via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> One could also add:
>>
>> Wilke, Annette, and Oliver. Moebus. *Sound and Communication: An
>> Aesthetic Cultural History of Sanskrit Hinduism*. Vol. v. 41. Religion
>> and Society,. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2011.
>>
>> Brown, C. Mackenzie. “Purāṇa as Scripture: From Sound to Image of the
>> Holy Word in the Hindu Tradition.” *History of Religions* 26, no. 1
>> (August 1, 1986): 68–86. https://doi.org/10.2307/1062388.
>>
>> Hess, Linda. *Bodies of Song: Kabir Oral Traditions and Performative
>> Worlds in North India*. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2015.
>>
>> Lutgendorf, Philip. *The Life of a Text: Performing the Rāmcaritmānas of
>> Tulsidas*. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.
>>
>> Orsini, Francesca, and Katherine Butler Schofield. *Tellings and Texts:
>> Music, Literature and Performance in North India*. Place of publication
>> not identified: Open Book Publishers, 2015.
>> http://public.eblib.com/choice/publicfullrecord.aspx?p=4386697.
>>
>> A short but thoughtful overview of some of the difficulties of
>> characterizing the relationship between written texts and oral culture has
>> been given by Orsini and Schofield in *Tellings...* And then of course
>> Pollock compares the relationship between 'literacy' and writing in S. Asia
>> and Europe in *Language of the Gods*.
>>
>> And, at the risk of self-promotion, I discuss these issues in the context
>> of early modern North India in my dissertation, which is available through
>> Columbia U's website.
>>
>> All best,
>> Tyler
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Mark McLaughlin via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Indology mind-hive,
>>>

>>> I have an undergraduate student who is interested in writing a paper on
>>> questions of oral and literary traditions. I would like to solicit your
>>> opinions on potential sources for her. Please see her message below for a
>>> more detailed delineation of her questioning.
>>>

>>> Many thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>>> Professor McLaughlin,

> [...]

Dr. Elisa Freschi

(Tue to Thu)
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstraße 11-13, 2nd floor NEW ADDRESS!
1020 Vienna, Austria
Phone ++43 (0)1 51581 6433
Fax ++43 (0)1 51581 6410

(Fri to Tue)
Institute for South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies
University of Vienna
Spitalgasse 2, Hof 2, Eingang 2.1
1090 Vienna, Austria
Phone ++43 (0)1 4277 43505