[INDOLOGY] Sources on Relationship btw Oral/Literary Traditions

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 19:18:47 UTC 2017

It is Lauri Honko, the Finnish Folklorist who uses the word
"textualization" in the sense of bringing an oral text into a written form:

https://books.google.co.in/books/about/Textualization_of_Oral_Epics.html?id=vyfOPBtlz54C

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Tyler Williams via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> One could also add:
>
> Wilke, Annette, and Oliver. Moebus. *Sound and Communication: An
> Aesthetic Cultural History of Sanskrit Hinduism*. Vol. v. 41. Religion
> and Society,. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2011.
>
> Brown, C. Mackenzie. “Purāṇa as Scripture: From Sound to Image of the Holy
> Word in the Hindu Tradition.” *History of Religions* 26, no. 1 (August 1,
> 1986): 68–86. https://doi.org/10.2307/1062388.
>
> Hess, Linda. *Bodies of Song: Kabir Oral Traditions and Performative
> Worlds in North India*. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2015.
>
> Lutgendorf, Philip. *The Life of a Text: Performing the Rāmcaritmānas of
> Tulsidas*. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.
>
> Orsini, Francesca, and Katherine Butler Schofield. *Tellings and Texts:
> Music, Literature and Performance in North India*. Place of publication
> not identified: Open Book Publishers, 2015. http://public.eblib.com/
> choice/publicfullrecord.aspx?p=4386697.
>
> A short but thoughtful overview of some of the difficulties of
> characterizing the relationship between written texts and oral culture has
> been given by Orsini and Schofield in *Tellings...* And then of course
> Pollock compares the relationship between 'literacy' and writing in S. Asia
> and Europe in *Language of the Gods*.
>
> And, at the risk of self-promotion, I discuss these issues in the context
> of early modern North India in my dissertation, which is available through
> Columbia U's website.
>
> All best,
> Tyler
>

> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Mark McLaughlin via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear Indology mind-hive,
>>

>> I have an undergraduate student who is interested in writing a paper on
>> questions of oral and literary traditions. I would like to solicit your
>> opinions on potential sources for her. Please see her message below for a
>> more detailed delineation of her questioning.
>>

>> Many thanks in advance!
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> Professor McLaughlin,
>>

>> I read through a little more of the Pollock book last night to get a
>> better feel for some questions. I think generally this is what I'm
>> thinking:
>>

>> What is the difference and relationship between the oral and literary
>> tradition? How has that relationship evolved with the emergence of written
>> texts, vernacularization, and the subsequent privileging of textual sources
>> by the colonial West and the Academy? Who is excluded and/or included by
>> the privileging of one kind of knowledge over the other? For scholars, what
>> kind of nuanced understanding of literacy should be sought or acknowledged
>> given that "to be literate" can mean different things in different
>> cultures?
>>

>> Let me know if this sounds like what I was talking about the other day!
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> Emma

> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )