[INDOLOGY] The pre-natal/pre-incarnatory curse in Indian literature

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed May 31 10:17:51 UTC 2017

Alf's example brings in a very good analogous narrative to that of
"sage Viśravas’
pre-natal, even pre-conception, curse of Rāvaṇa, Kumbhakarṇa and Śūrpaṇakhā
to be monstrous  because their mother-to be, Kaikasī, approached him at a
bad time."

Alf was cautious and said, " Vyasa's words (are they a curse?) "

Yes, that care is important even in the case of the sage Vis'ravas' words.
Are they a curse? Perhaps not.

In both the cases, a statement of the consequence of nishiddhakarma appears
to be a curse.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:40 AM, Alfred Hiltebeitel via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> I suppose Vyasa's words (are they a curse?) to Ambika and Ambalika would
> count as leading the blind and pale births of Dhrtrastra and Pandu.-Alf
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Robert Goldman via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, there are many examples. One of the most striking, in my opinion, is
>> the sage Viśravas’ pre-natal, even pre-conception, curse of Rāvaṇa,
>> Kumbhakarṇa and Śūrpaṇakhā to be monstrous  because their mother-to be,
>> Kaikasī, approached him at a bad time. The sage also  prenatally blesses
>> his future son Vibhīṣaṇa to be virtuous. See the Vālmīki Rāmayaṇa (critical
>> ed.) 7.9. 10–20.
>>
>> Of course there innumerable examples of figures being cursed to suffer
>> nasty future births.
>> Dr. R. P.  Goldman
>> Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor in South
>> and Southeast Asian Studies
>> Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
>> The University of California at Berkeley
>> Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
>> Tel: 510-642-4089 <(510)%20642-4089>
>> Fax: 510-642-2409 <(510)%20642-2409>
>>
>> On May 30, 2017, at 8:07 AM, James Hegarty via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I would like to pick the list’s formidable collective Indological brain.
>>
>> I am interested in examples of curses that precede birth or incarnation
>> in Indian literature.
>>
>> Examples that spring to mind are Dharma being cursed to a human birth as
>> Vidura or one of the Vasus, as Bhīṣma in the Mahābhārata.
>>
>> Can anyone think of others?  I am not fussy about tradition or period, I
>> just want to compare a few examples.
>>
>> I have one other topic to raise. It is teachings given at night.
>>
>> I am interested in whether there are any family resemblances between
>> teachings offered at night (in the most general of terms). Can anyone think
>> of sources in which teachings are offered at night (as Vidura teaches
>> Dhṛtarāṣṭra in the Udyogaparvan of the Mahābhārata, for example)?
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation to the wise and learned list!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> James Hegarty
>> Cardiff University

> --
> Alf Hiltebeitel
> Professor of Religion, History and Human Sciences
> Department of Religion
> George Washington University
> 2106 G Street, NW
> Washington DC, 20052

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )