[INDOLOGY] The pre-natal/pre-incarnatory curse in Indian literature

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Tue May 30 15:50:43 UTC 2017

Regarding curses preceding incarnation, the following passage from
Balabhadra's /Hāyanaratna/ (1649, /pace/ Pingree, who says 1629) seems
to fit the bill:

* * * * *
hillājena tu brahmaviṣṇurudramukhanirgataśāpena yavanatāṃ prāptena
śrīsūryeṇaiva yavanaśāstrapraṇayanād dvijānām api sūryasiddhāntavad
etadadhyayanaṃ yuktam ity uktam |

    keśaviṣṇumukhanirgataśāpān mlecchatādhigatatigmamarīceḥ |
    romakeṇa puri labdham aśeṣaṃ tad dvijādibhir ato ’dhyayanīyam || iti |

puri romakapattane |

But Hillāja says [in /Hillājadīpikā /1.6] that because the Yavana
science was founded by the illustrious  sun [god] himself, who had
become a Yavana due to a curse issued from the mouths of Brahmā, Viṣṇu
and Rudra, the study of this is proper even for the twice-born, like
[the study of] the /Sūryasiddhānta/:

    Romaka received this whole [science] in the city from the sun [god],
    who, by a curse issued from the mouths of Brahmā, Śiva and Viṣṇu,
    had attained the state of a foreigner (/mleccha/); therefore, it is
    fit to be studied by the twice-born and others.

‘In the city’ [means] in the city of Rome.
* * * * *

For teachings at night, what about the Pāñcarātra?

Martin Gansten