Re: [INDOLOGY] Was Aśoka an iconoclast?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun May 28 18:35:37 UTC 2017

I am not trying to defend Dr Ambedkar or As'oka. I was just wishing
accuracy in reading the spirit behind the quotes.

Let me now try to make the following observations about he quote:

1. Village deities is a folk cultural aspect or an element of Indian folk
religion. Most of the Indologists are aware of this fact and are aware of
huge number of studies and publications about this. All those who know
about this know that the village deity worship has no involvement of
Brahmins. Typically traditionally a village deity's temple has only a
non-Brahmin preist, as per the customs a female priest, rfrom communities
such as potters or washermen. The festival time priest for these deities
hails from a sub-caste of the tanner-cobbler caste. Brahmins being
mentioned as associated with village deities in the quote is contradicting
these facts.

2. What Dr Ambedkar meant by 'national deities' here is not clear to me.

3. Family deities probably is an English translation of kula devataas. In
today's 'Hinduism', these deities come either from folk or classical
tradition. Usually the rituals associated are at family level only.Unless
it is an elaborate ritual to a classical family deity, Brahmins are not
involved. Women themselves with a women group participation perform the
worship rituals.

4. Whether there is an inscriptional evidence for this queens involving
Brahmins for the worship of these deities or not, there are very clear
evidences for the S'aatavaahana women donating to Buddhist monks while the
same inscription mentioning the king to be such a staunch Vaidika that he
performed 100 Vaajapeya yaagas.