[INDOLOGY] Was A?oka an iconoclast?

Shaw, Julia julia.shaw at ucl.ac.uk
Sat May 27 20:39:34 UTC 2017

ps

There is evident overlap here with the banned hilltop festivals (gir-agga-samajjan) mentioned in Aṅguttara Nikāya II. 550, and Asoka’s edicts nos. 1 and 9.  For linkages with yakṣas caitya in relation to topographical and cultic patterns in Sanchi's wider archaeological landscape, see Shaw 2007, 141-2.  The following may also be helpful: Hardy, E. 1903. ’Ueber den upsprung des samajja’, in Album Kern: opstellen geschreven ter eere Van H.K. Kern hem aangeboden. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 61-6.

Dr Julia Shaw

Lecturer in South Asian Archaeology

Institute of Archaeology UCL

31-34 Gordon Square