Re: [INDOLOGY] Was Aśoka an iconoclast?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Fri May 26 15:39:24 UTC 2017

Dear Artur-ji,

Does your quote indicate that As'oka was an iconoclast? I do not know if Dr
Ambedkar had the intention of creating an iconoclast image of As'oka.

The sentence from the quote,

"Buddhism discontinued this practice and removed the idols of such deities"

shows that in Dr Ambedkar's view, 'idol' is different from 'deity'.

"As I venerate the Buddha, the Enlightened One, there is no need to worship
any other deity"

is talking about deity not idol.

Buddhism discontinued this practice. Which practice?

"In India, like the village *deity* and national *deity*, there were family
*deities* also who were worshipped through the Brahmins. The priests who
used to go for worshipping these deities started influencing the affairs of
the State through the queens" (highlighting mine)

shows that the focus is on the deities not idols. The focus seems to be on
how the practice that lead to 'the Brahmins influencing the Sate affairs
through the queens' was stopped through the advent of Buddhism. Buddha ,
the Enlightened one, was an alternative to the deities not the idols. Since
the deities were no longer venerated , their idols were removed.