[INDOLOGY] Questioning South Asia Conference

Andrea Acri andrea.acri at ephe.sorbonne.fr
Thu May 18 22:15:21 UTC 2017

The mere geographical (geopolitical?) expressions of « Central/South/Southeast/East Asia » are no less artificial, constructed and arbitrary than the boundaries of the modern nation states—especially when dealing with premodern phenomena (something that has been pointed out by Pollock indeed). Much has been written on this issue in the past two or three decades, yet it is somehow depressing to see how this body of research (mostly produced by global historians, but also by Area Studies scholars) seems to have had a rather limited impact on the tightly compartmentalized « Area Studies » paradigm  (except, perhaps, the creation of some « Indian Ocean » research initiatives), not to speak about the fields of Indology and/or South Asian studies. I cannot but agree with Prof. Slaje’s invitation to reflect on the institutional history of our subject(s), their (geo)political implications, etc.

Andrea Acri
Maître de conférences
Études tantriques/Tantric Studies
École Pratique des Hautes Études (Sciences Religieuses), Paris
andrea.acri at ephe.sorbonne.fr
Publications at: www.ephe.academia.edu/AndreaAcri