Re: [INDOLOGY] Tracing a verse in the Purāṇas

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Tue May 9 01:03:51 UTC 2017

Dear Madhav,

According to the verse-index of the Nag Publishers printing of the
*Padmamahāpurāṇam* (so on title page), this is Pāṭāla khaṇḍa (the 5th),
adhyāya 108, verse 20. I checked the text, and this reference is correct.
As we know, but not stated on the copyright pages of the Nag Publishers
printings of the purāṇas, they are photographic reprints of the Veṅkaṭeśvara
Press editions published in manuscript form at Bombay in the early 1900s.

The added verse-indexes to the Nag Publishers reprints are very helpful. I
do not know of a cumulative verse index for all of the major purāṇas. This
would be very helpful indeed.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.