[INDOLOGY] Gerrit Jan Meulenbeld (28/5/1928 - 26/3/2017)

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 20:02:59 UTC 2017

I am very sad to hear this unexpected and unlooked-for news.  I first met
Jan at the conference he ran in Groningen in 1983 on "priorities in the
study of Indian medicine."  I was pretty wet behind the ears, and Jan's
conference was a kind of intellectual baptism for me, into ayurveda
studies.  Shortly afterwards, I had the privilege of collaborating with him
in co-editing the proceedings of a follow-up meeting that took place at the
Wellcome Institute in 1985 (*Studies on Indian Medical History*).  Both
meetings were ground-breaking, and brought Jan's work to a wider circle as
well as generating a new birth for Indian medical historical studies
amongst European scholars.

Jan's contribution to Indological study will continue to yield clarity and
knowledge for decades if not centuries to come.  It may be less well known
to colleagues in this forum that parallel with his professional life as a
Sanskrit scholar and medical historian, Jan also conducted an active
clinical practice as a psychiatrist, working for many years with some of
the most extreme and disturbed patients in Holland. Further remarks on his
multifaceted achievements will no doubt find place in formal obituraries.

I will miss him, both as a scholar and - as Ken Zysk has eloquently said -
as a special person.

Dominik

​
--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
​,​

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
​,​

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
​,​
University of Alberta, Canada